Ask an Expert


A client owns a unit in a body corporate with very little contents, and they do not want insurance for these.

They have another property with contents insurance. Would their section 2 liability be covered under this contents policy if they damaged another unit’s contents at the Body Corp unit where they do not hold contents? For example, leaving a tap on and flooding the contents of the unit downstairs?

Crossley Gates replies:

Yes, it probably would.

The liability cover under a contents policy is for liability beyond the premises where the contents insured are located. So the liability cover for the property that has contents insurance may cover liability at the property that has no contents insurance.

Of course, the liability must be of a nature normally covered under section 2 of a contents policy.

June 2022

Knowledge Base

Where members can access industry Resources & Media Content

Click here